Thursday 8 December 2011

Final Days

Huzzah! I've just finished reading my 800 page environmental law textbook for my LAST exam tomorrow. So I'm free to deal with other thought provoking questions of the universe, such as 'what is the point of red velvet cake?'* 'who made that yellow snow outside my building, a person or a puppy?' and 'how the heck am I going to fit all my worldly possessions back into my backpack?'**

For what is possibly my last post for this trip, I thought it would be fun to write a list of what I have loved here and what I miss from back home. I love lists. And then I can smoosh these things together and make a perfect Gab Land in my mind! Whee! I'm looking forward to being back in Aus, although I'll probably have a mental breakdown when I realise my adventure-fest semester is over.

Things I'm looking forward to:
  • Walking into any cafe anywhere and watching a person personally make me my very own fresh cup of coffee with an expresso machine. No stale, burnt filter coffee in sight!
  • Drinking in pubs and bars that serve cocktails, and food to soak up the drinking. I'm drooling over the thought of a pub meal.
  • Going back to uni where there's actually interaction between people, with teaching and discussion and thinking about the law instead of just reading and exams.
  • Being allowed to wear shoes inside again. (related: not needing to be ashamed of my holey socks)
  • Sunshine! All the people who manage to live here full time, year in year out, you're brave and resilient and I salute you. 
  • Cooking in my spacious and fully equipped kitchen. Although it has been a fun creative challenge finding ways make yummy food with none of the required implements. 
  • Complete strangers (bus drivers, retail workers, crazy people) who are friendly and want to have a chat, or even just smile at you.
  • My bed. My glorious wonderful bed! I may never leave. Also access to a couch, my butt is sick of sitting on plastic chairs 24/7.
  • And of course, getting back to my partner in crime and lovely friends and family.Yippee!

Things I'm really going to miss:
  • All restaurants having the ability to split the bill into any number of portions, even if you've shared entrees or a bottle of wine! It's utterly brilliant, and they don't even hate you for it.
  • The beautiful large and entirely openable windows in every building. None of this security/fly screen bullshit ruining my view!
  • Being able to eat a healthy meal at university for 2.50, including unlimited bread and salad.
  • The ability to have a puppy (or any other type of pet) living in your university apartment, no questions asked. And being able to take your puppy ANYWHERE; on the overnight train, hotels, buses, etc.
  • Rent for students that is actually affordable. I paid 42 a week to share a 2 bedroom apartment. Can you imagine that happening at uni accomodation in Canberra these days? No.
  • A country without hideous McMansions, ruining the world with their waste and pretension. Cute wooden houses are the best. I want one.
  • Reindeer wandering around on the roads being dopey and cute.
  • Frolicking in the snow and smashing frozen puddles, even despite scary moments of slipping on the ice and falling on my butt.
  • Superdooper fast internet speeds, thanks to the happy coincidence of being put in Kuntotie 3.
  • Being able to trot off to other European countries in an hour or two, without paying thousands of dollars.
  • Seeing Avocado flourish in his natural bear habitat. He sure is going to miss chasing those squirrels.
  • The people I've been lucky enough to meet here, of course! But I'll see them again. One of my favourite things about being Australian is our propensity to follow through with travel plans and turn up on friend's doorsteps across the world. So watch out =)
Finland, if I could ever learn your insane language I would totally live here someday.
Rovaniemi, you are a strange little creature and I have loved my time with you.

Sad panda! And sad bear.







*there isn't one, it's just chocolate cake dyed red to make your poop look diseased.
**find Hermione's magical storage bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment