Monday 7 November 2011

Marraskuussa

Don't worry, my lack of posting lately isn't because I've been off conquering the world secretly, but because I've been spending most days hunched over my desk in terrible lighting, reading until my eyes bleed.

It sounds excessive, because I only need to pass my subjects in order to get credit for them at home. But I promise, I'm not being a mega-nerd, assessment in Finland is just CRAZY. It's not difficult, just crazy. Here is an example:

I'm studying International Criminal Law, and assessment is one 100% exam. The only study material is the 600 page textbook, so you'd think as long as I focused on a few major topics and knew them pretty well I'd be fine to get through the exam. But in exams here, they don't want you to show your knowledge or give analysis, they're just checking that you've read the book. So they can pick out any obscure little idea from any page of the textbook and make you write an essay on it. So I have no choice but to read the whole book cover to cover (and take copious notes because I don't have a photographic memory) and regurgitate stuff for the exam. It's a boringgg way to learn. Makes me appreciate how it's done back home, learning to solve problems instead of learning to memorise stuff.

Anyway, that's all quite dull. There are more exciting things on the horizon such as fire sculptures tonight and Simon visiting in 11 days and a future trip to Russia!

Rovaniemi has this annual event called Jokivalkeat or RiverLights, where students from the local unis and schools make big sculptures out of wood and hay and flammable things, set them up next to the river and set fire to them. It's a pyromaniacs dream come true. It was pretty cool to watch, and I requisitioned Adele's camera to take some photos.


This one toppled over section by section at the end!

As well as things on fire, there were lanterns

We're in the process of organising a cruise to St Petersburg in December, it's the most convenient way to have a short visit without going through the hoohaa of getting visas. It should be pretty awesome, I don't really know what to except! There's 8 of us going including my beloved, and we'll have to recreate some Titanic-esque lower class citizen fun for the boat trip. We even have the necessary Irishman.

It STILL hasn't snowed in Rovaniemi, the most irritating thing is that if you look on the extended weather forecast they guarantee it, but by the time it gets to that day the forecast has changed from -5 and snowing to +5 and raining. I don't understand how meteorology is so imprecise, I swear back in the day it was more accurate than it tends to be now. Maybe I'm imagining it...

Snuggly warm but no snow to play in!

No comments:

Post a Comment